Family Fire Escape Plans
SERVPRO® Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties hopes you will never need your home or business to recover from fire or smoke damage.
Portable fire extinguishers may not be enough to save your home. Sometimes, the only option you have to keep yourself and loved ones safe is to escape. A small flame can turn into a large fire in a matter of minutes. Lives are more important than objects, so get yourselves and others out of danger.
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties - Tips for Escape:
- Make an escape plan ahead of time and make sure everyone knows the plan.
- Make sure that all doors and windows open easily.
- Plan at least two different ways of escaping every room.
- When you leave, close the doors and windows to shut in the flames.
- Do not stop to pick up valuables, objects can be replaced you can not.
- Make sure your plan includes a place to meet that is a safe distance from the home.
- Do not turn off smoke alarms when you cook, you may need the warning.
- If you have to go through a smoke filled area to escape, cover your nose and mouth with something and crawl on the floor.
- Practice the plan until your entire family or business feels comfortable.
- Periodically go over the plan that is put in place to refresh everyones memory or make changes.
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties reminds you to call the fire department once you are safely outside of the home.
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties Mold and Mildew Service
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties can help, if you discover something growing in your residence that shouldn’t be there.
Mold and Mildew in Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties thought of starting a band called Mold and the Mildews. We know a lot about the subject and are fungis (lol), but fortunately for you guys, we decided against it.
Mold and mildew are both types of fungi. Mildew is never useful, but some kinds of fungi are okay, like mushrooms (if you like mushrooms) and some molds can be useful, like penicillin. Other kinds of fungi are definitely not okay, like athlete’s foot and you definitely don’t want them growing in your home or office. SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties can help, if you discover something growing in your residence that shouldn’t be there.
It’s good to learn about the different kinds of mold and mildew. Education is important and finding an industry expert is critical. SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties recommends Frost Environmental Services, L.L.C. for an inspection. If you need assistance getting rid of the problem, give SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties a shout and we would be happy to help.
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties 24-Hour Emergency Storm Damage Service
Contact your local agent today for a quote on flood insurance.
Water Damage and Insurance in Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties wants to create community awareness about the potential risk of flood and water damage. Here are some insurance tips from FEMA about flood insurance. Most insurance rates vary by company and the rules vary by state. Flood insurance is an exception.
Most property insurance does not cover flood damage.
Some homeowners’ policies will cover water damage if the damage came from:
- Sewer or drain backup
- Sudden and accidental damage from plumbing, heating systems or air conditioning
Additionally, some policies will also include mold remediation, but not if a flood caused the problem.
How to get flood insurance in Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties
- Check whether your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). You can still get flood insurance if you live in a low-risk area and many times the insurance will cost less if you live in a low-risk area.
- Find an insurance agent in Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties. The NFIP is the only flood-insurance provider, but the government does not sell it. The NFIP sets the rates and you can purchase the policy through your local insurance provider.
- If your insurance agent is unaware of the NFIP, you can reach out to the help center at 800-427-4661
Water Damage Inside Edition – SERVPRO® Equipment
SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties has state of the art equipment that is placed on site to assist in drying the structure.
Although our wonderful team members play a valuable and important role in servicing our customers’ damages, SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties has state of the art equipment that is placed on site to assist in drying the structure. Using the proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing claims loss expense. When time is of the essence, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform, our team of trained professionals at SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties understand how to dry a structure and personal property effectively. Our team members are trained in Psychrometry, which allows them to evaluate air conditions in the structure and establish a drying plan.
Scoping a damage involves our trained team members locating the areas affected by water and determining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. Our trained team members use:
- Moisture Sensors – These are us to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters – These are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable our SERVPRO® of Sumner County team member to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohrgrometers – These measure both temperature and relative humidity. In capturing these two readings our trained team members calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
The most effective method of removing moisture from a structure is extraction. This is why it is crucial to respond quickly to a water damage and to provide emergency mitigation services. When the water is extracted quickly, the environment can usually be dried much faster.
- Extractors – These are used in cleaning carpets and upholstery and in removing water from floors following a water damage. Extractors can either be truck-mounted or portable, allowing for greater access inside structures.
Air Moving Equipment
Air movers are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level, thereby reducing drying time. As airflow at the surface level increases, the moisture in the air increases. This moisture is then eliminated via the use of dehumidification equipment.
By extracting water vapor from the air, dehumidifiers lower the relative humidity, which in turn increases the rate of evaporation. In a water damaged, structure, dehumidifiers pull in the moist, humid air and then discharge dry, warm air. The dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture from wet materials. SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties uses two types of dehumidifiers:
- Refrigerant Dehumidifiers – These work similarly to an air conditioner.
- Desiccant Dehumidifiers – The use chemicals, called desiccants, which readily absorb moisture from the air.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® Advantage
The best way to reduce business interruption following a disaster is to plan for it NOW.
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, “Are you ready for whatever happens?”
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency,
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects, but it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having and immediate plan of action.
- Establishes SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and is close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save your time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
Call our office to schedule your free facility assessment today at 615-672-1905.
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Cheatham County Home.
Different types of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smokes migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke-wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
Low heat. Smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 615-672-1905
Understanding Water Types-Damage From Contaminated Water
When you home or business suffers a water damage, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper clean up.
Consider taking the following precautions to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while waiting for SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties to arrive.
Damage from Contaminated Water
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure; air flow could spread contaminates.
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
When you have a water damage, don’t leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties at 615-672-1905.
Restoring Your Springfield Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Know that you will be back in business with our certified teams on call 24/7.
Flooding and water damage events at Springfield commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties
SERVPRO of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Does Your Dickson County Home Have A Mold Problem?
If you see signs of mold call us today - 615-672-1905
In Dickson, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to removal all mold, which is fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or pet.
Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moister must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If you home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment and expertise to remediate you mold infestation.
If you see signs of mold call us today – 615-672-1905
Sealing Its Fate
Mold travels when it is disturbed and will attach to anything that is a viable food source. When our office receives calls to complete mold remediation’s we are happy to help, but need to follow certain procedures to ensure that when we are cleaning the areas that have mold present we are spreading the mold to other areas of the home or business.
When our trained teams arrive they will assess the damage and if a scope of work is not already created they will create a protocol or scope of work. If our teams are working inside the home they will hang containment (heavy plastic sheeting) to seal off the area and prevent mold spores from traveling to other portions of the home. The area remains sealed off until the work has been completed. In many cases our teams will place air scrubbers in or around the area to aid with the mold particles in the air.
If you feel that you have mold in your home or business call SERVPRO® of Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson County today to schedule an appointment.