Fires are Preventable
When it comes to your Cheatham, Robertson and Dickson County home, there are certain safety precautions that can be taken to help prevent fires. Ready.gov shares the following tips on home fire prevention.
Electrical and Appliance Safety
- Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
- If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it into a two slot outlet or extension cord.
- Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Fireplaces and Wood Stoves
- Inspect and clean wood stoves pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.
- Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.
If you find yourself with fire damage to your Cheatham, Robertson or Dickson County home call our office at 615-672-1905.